Our Baby


An empty space where life once stirred 
My eyes were not yet seeing 
Where once my heartbeat shared a tone 
with a small and fragile being. 
 
So scarcely formed yet still a life 
A dream, a hope, a promise 
Our plans were changed to now include 
This new life thrust upon us. 
 
Then just as quickly as it came 
Our dreams were gone away 
The deepest pain I've ever felt 
Our baby died today. 
 
With footprints left upon our hearts 
She gently took her leave 
We're left with nothing but regret 
And only time to grieve. 
 
There was no service to be held 
No mourning time required 
No songs of longing and despair 
No words to be inspired. 
 
We're simply told to bare the pain 
"It's nature's way" they say 
I can't forget our baby moved 
inside me yesterday. 
 
And with each word of sorrow 
my teardrops fall like rain 
The anger and resentment 
are mixed with guilt and pain. 
 
I look to heaven for a sign 
to help search out a course 
Where love can teach acceptance 
and eliminate remorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment