Please Be Gentle (an after loss creed)

Please be gentle with me for I am grieving. The sea I swim in is a
lonely one, and the shore seems miles away. Waves of despair numb my
soul as I struggle through each day.
My heart is heavy with sorrow. I want to shout and scream and
repeatedly ask "Why?". At times, my grief overwhelms me, and I weep
bitterly, so great is my loss.
Please don't turn away or tell me to move on with my life. I must
embrace my pain before I can begin to heal. Companion me through my
tears and sit with me in loving silence. Honor where I am in my
journey, not where you think I should be.
Listen patiently to my story. I may need to tell it over and over
again. It's how I begin to grasp the enormity of my loss. Nurture me
through the weeks and months ahead. Forgive me when I seem distant
and inconsolable. A small flame still burns within my heart, and
shared memories may trigger both laughter and tears. I need your
support and understanding. There is no right or wrong way to grieve.
I must find my own path.
Please, will you walk beside me?


1 comment:

  1. Please accept my condolences for your loss.

    Also, please give credit to Jill Engler for this beautiful prose she wrote after her own loss.

    I have shared this with many people over the last nearly twenty years. It is so sad that Jill Engler had such a horrific loss to write this wonderful support for us.

    ReplyDelete